Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Pyanepsia, Day 2 (2014), Poseidon and Theseus, Theseia and Oschophoria (2014)

Okay, so when the sun goes down we'll enter the second day of the Pyanepsia. The first day was wonderful. I gave my offering to Apollo, burned a candle that was just for him, and did the full ritual. Now I didn't have one that had been written up for me. But I thanked him. I thanked him for allowing Theseus to come back, even though his father died. And I told him that I was thankful for what food that I did have.

I think that's the most important thing about the ritual, besides remembering what Theseus had done for his people. Being thankful.

Tonight we honor Poseidon and Theseus, though in a much different way. It's also the Theseia and the Oschophoria. Below are info about these holidays. I got info about Theseia from the same website that I got the other holidays from.

The Theseia on the day following Pyanepsia and Oskhophoria celebrated the return of the (alleged) bones of Theseus to Athens from their original burial place on the island of Skyros, as ordained by the Delphic oracle.  The Athenians created a temenos near the agora (and likely near the temple of Hephaistos) to re-inter the remains and instituted a festival in 475 BCE to honor the state hero.  The observance became a major festival with a procession, athletic games and consumption of meat sacrifices (Parke, p. 81).  Another distinctive feature of this festival was the serving of athara, a special "pudding" made with milk. 

The eighth of the month is a day devoted to Poseidon, divine father of Theseus, and often to Theseus himself, hence it lent itself to an observance of such an important event as the return of the state hero’s remains (Parke, p. 81).
Oschophoria is to honor Athena but it's also a day to honor Dionysus
I hope that you all have a good one and this info helps you. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment