Monday, October 13, 2014

Apaturia

Tonight, at sundown, will be Apatura. It’s a three day recognition of new family members. They were brought before their father and recognized as part of the family. This is a holiday that I won’t be celebrating but I’m doing a blog because it’s apart of the Hellenic calendar. The main reason that I won’t be celebrating it is it’s bloody history. Back, a long time ago, if a father didn’t recognize their child then the child could be left for dead. This is infanticide and something that I don’t agree with.
The city state of Sparta was famous for infanticide due to their belief that women had to raise strong sons for fighting.
Thankfully we have left that bloody past behind us. There are laws against leaving a child out to die and people do go to jail for it. We also recognize our children all the time, so I don’t see a point of having a festival to do something that we do all the time. For those that are celebrating it, I hope that you have a good one. Note: Below is my altar that I have for last night’s celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment