Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween: My Problem With It

I don't know how long this post is going to be, but I thought that I should talk about this day. Tonight, according to Wiccan calendars, is Samhain. It's called Halloween today. Most Hellenists that come from a Wiccan background remembers when they honored the dead only once, which is today. The problem with this is that it makes the dead feel as though their not important enough.

What's the whole point of only honoring your ancestors once a year? I really don't get it. What I love about Hellenism is that we honor the dead every month. They are remembered, they are given offerings, and they are talked about. I do have a problem with Samhain, Halloween, and it's not the candy giving. Though I really wonder what the point of pot laced candy given to kids this year. Anyway, if any Hellenist out there is celebrating then have a good one.

It's just not a holiday that I will be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment