Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Magic In Ancient Greece

Now this is going to be a touchy subject for most and I was compelled to do this due to a group that I saw on Facebook. Magic in Ancient times was very much connected to religion. Yes, we do have examples of cursed tablets but they didn't represent the whole of Greek culture and religion. These were done on the outside of what was considered the 'norm' back then. To try and practice magic in a ritual format is Hubris.

Magic, witchcraft, whatever, is Hubris. And the stuff that they were talking about defies the gods. You are not gods and you don't have their power. The point of following this path is to honor the Greek gods, the values of the Greeks, and to not add witchcraft to it. Now, I know, I'm going off course and I do have a bad habit of doing that. The point that I'm trying to make is that magic in ancient Greece was not done.

The priests did things a certain way because that's how it was done back then. To offer a prayer, then throw incense, isn't witchcraft. Burning a piece of parchment, and focusing your energy to make a god do something, is witchcraft and is wrong. When I need something, and it's something that I know that I need, I will pray to the appropriate god and then offer incense, asking them if it's the will of the gods that I have it, let me receive it. This path has zero magic in it and it will always have zero magic in it.

On another subject: ritual clothing or let me say this, clothing that's worn that looks like Greek clothing that's done in ritual. This was another thing that came up on that group for those that use magick in their path. When I stared at this I wondered, does this woman even understand what these Greeks are going through? The answer would be 'NO.' She probably lives in the States and has no clue what their going through. Don't confuse what the Hellenists are doing to what the Roman Recons are doing.

Yes, they both wear clothes that the ancient Greeks wore, but the Hellenists believe in the gods and they all don't dress in Greek clothing. To attack them because, and I call a comment about what their doing an attack, is wrong and just being stupid. Leave them alone and let them have their togas. And, yes, wearing them is reconstructionism.

No comments:

Post a Comment