Friday, August 29, 2014

Genesia

Tonight we celebrate Genesia, which I’m not going to be doing. The reason for this is that, even though my father is dead, he was now a man that would of even honored me. He was against me being born a girl and thus he gets no honors. I will honor my mother when her time passes as she’s the one that’s earned my respect simply by loving me. I got this from Baring the Aegis.

The Genesia seems to have been a festival of the dead–especially of dead parents. It was celebrated on the fifth of the month of Boudromion in Athens, but that is all we know for sure. There is reason to believe that the Genesia was panhellenic–although we do not know if all city-states performed the rites on the same day. We are also unsure if the Genesia was a set day for all children to visit their parents’ grave and perform sacrifices there, or if there was a public commemoration of all parents. The day is also sacred to Gaea, who housed the remains of the dead, and brought fertility and wealth to the living.

No comments:

Post a Comment