Friday, May 15, 2015

Why I Don't Pour Wine

One of the things that I have noticed in the book Hellenic Polytheism: Household Worship is the use of wine for libations. Now while I don't have a problem with how they do things over there. I do consider it to be a suggestion and not hard fact. The ancient Greeks used wine because, as far as I know, it was the only drink that was drunk by anyone back then. I doubt the water supply was safe.

Today we do have the option of not using wine in our rituals. Yes, I know that will be plenty of people out there that will say that we should pour libations with wine. But I'm not a fan of the stuff and I have a hard time even drinking a little. I use substitutions for wine. Like water, milk, and grape juice. Grape juice comes from the same fruit as wine does. I don't see anything wrong with use it instead of wine.

So the reason that I don't pour wine is very simple. Can't stand the stuff and therefore don't want to use it. The only exception to this is Dionysus. But I don't actually drink the wine, I more pour it on the ground. Other than that, no wine. Of course I seem to not be alone. In a documentary about modern Hellenic followers there is a man, who is an archeologist, that offers water and milk, along with wine. So I'm glad that I'm not alone in this.

Have a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment