Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pyanepsia (2014)

Tonight began the Athenian month of Pyanepsia. And even though the book on Hellenic prayers isn't something that's based on what we know of Greek prayers I still use it. Why, because I don't turn down anything that makes practicing my religion a bit easier. Tonight we honor our ancestors and the household gods. Since I'm writing this at 10:21 at night I will tell you that I've already done my ritual. I really felt moved by not only my total connection to the gods but also not binding myself to what others think that I should be doing.

The point of religion, no matter what it is, is to connect with the divine. As the Head of the Temple to the Greek Gods has said, we need to write down our rituals and we need to make a record of our own practices so that we can give the Greek religion it's rich history. And I'm going to agree with that. So, in the spirit of what he has said, I'm going to get a book and start writing down my own experiences with this faith, which will include prayers, hymns, personal accounts, and much, much, more.

It might not be totally how the ancients did it, but we don't live in the past. We live, in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment