Thursday, September 18, 2014

Animal Sacrifice

I'm going to be doing two blog entries, one of them is very important and I believe should be talked about. Last week the animal rights people managed to get a small part of the country of India to outlaw animal sacrifice. The animals can't be sacrificed at the temples or the grounds connected to them. They claimed that the animals suffered and that the religion needed to adapt to modern times. They believed that it's not needed to be done in honor of any god.

What really made me mad was that pagan supported this move, not even thinking, or caring, that they were supporting the ending of a practice that was important to other pagans.This is my main problem with the fluff bunnies, and I'm going to call them just that. They are so against what other cultures are doing that they personally believe that what they do is somehow wrong. How about I go and kill an animal in honor of Artemis and lets see how quickly I get painted as some evil person. If animal sacrifice is something that a pagan culture does, then don't support others that wish to intrude on what another culture is doing.

Support them or get the hell out of the pagan community.

The first thing that the Greek Orthodox did was outlaw animal sacrifice when they were forcing their religion on the Greeks and the Roman Catholic Church on other cultures. It's one of the first steps that's done to get rid of a religious groups rights. To see pagans supporting this tells me a great deal about the face of the pagan community as a whole. Oh but they'll go on and on about how their being persecuted while supporting animal sacrifice being outlawed. Before long the whole country of India will outlaw this practice and the animal morons can go away feeling happy that they are doing the same thing that the church did.

And while I'm sure that the Indian government will not go as far as outlawing Hinduism. The outlawing of animal sacrifice is just leaving a very foul taste in my mouth. One of the things that I had first asked, when I became a Hellenist, was about animal sacrifice. Someone told me that, while they don't do it, they will not turn up their noses to a Hellenist that does practice this. It tells me a lot about the Recon community as a whole compared to the Wiccan/Pagan community as a whole.

When I defended the rights of Hindu's to sacrifice animals someone asked me, "I thought that all pagans love animals." Well, yes, I do. But their not hurting you and their not hurting others. Sometimes I think that some of the Christian hate against the sacrifice of animals is still going on in the Pagan community. A lot of them don't even believe in worship of the gods or honoring them. They go and on about how it's like Christianity.

The gods were given animal sacrifice and some even went as far as human sacrifice. There has been evidence of this in the Minoan sites that have been discovered. It has also been discovered that the people most likely ate their human sacrifice, which was shocking for me. Still, to see a practice like this, which has managed to survive in-tact, to be outlawed is outrageous. Personally I hope that other courts does not outlaw this, because it's sure to go underground.

You can't just expect a whole group of people to abandon this practice and I sure hope they fight like hell when the authorities come and try and force these new 'religious' law on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment