Thursday, June 18, 2015

Why do New Agers Think they Know So Much About Hecate?

Okay I'm going to post this and then turn in for the night. I was on Facebook and there's supposed to be this event in Salem, home to people that died for the suppose crime of witchcraft, and there's supposed to be a suppose 'expert' on Hecate. Okay, I'm going to say this and make this statement very clear. The only cultures that really knew about Hecate were the Greeks and the Romans.

They made it very clear what Hecate's roles were in their culture and they didn't 'add' on things. Now this is the reason that most Hellenists say away from Hecate, because of this. I don't care what people think they know about Hecate. When you give her the crone role, then your following what the Catholic Church viewed her as because her worship was still popular long after the fall of the Roman Empire.

Everything has a reason why things are done the way their done by people that are trying to drive others away from a certain kind of worship. Heck I even read that you couldn't name your child Diana due to the fact that Diana was a suppose 'Queen of the witches,' or some other stupid nonsense. I think this event is a joke and so are those that think that they know anything about Hecate. The information, like she's a crone, this is what foods she likes, this is the kind of incense that you burn to her, this is the stone, this is her phase of the moon, and so on, is UPG.

The problem is that they won't say that it's UPG, but fact. And I will also use this term to describe this kind of nonsense: Fakelore. I know, I'm using a Timothy Jay Alexander word, but it's true. This is one of the reasons that I left the New Age religion. Too many suppose experts that are drawing on ideas that came from the church, too little sleep, and so on. Am I attacking Wiccans views about Hecate? Yes, I am. Am I sorry? No, I'm not.

Another point that I like to make is that when you have so-called 'experts' on any kind of deity you need to take their knowledge as laughable. I remember having this debate about Hecate on a group on Facebook devoted to Hecate. One of them said that you shouldn't limit Hecate to the roles that the Greeks and Romans put her in because it's a narrow view of her. Um, no, it's not. A couple other Hellenists got on and verified what I was saying as fact.

I told them that Hecate is a maiden goddess and not a Crone. I told them that Hecate was turned into a crone by the church. But you couldn't explain anything to them. It was like talking to a child that has a low I.Q when their supposed to have a high one. This prove an over all point in the matter when it comes to Hecate, which I do believe that I've covered before. Hellenists and New Agers will argue about Hecate because we care about her and we know what damage the New Age community has done to her.

They have soured Hecate to some Hellenists and that's not right. They deny Hecate her honor and her due, due to the New Age community. They deny her sweet wine, incense, prayers, and hymns. I know that there's nothing that can be done about this, but I just really shake my head. So, no, I will not be going to Salem to see this exhibit. I might end up getting arrested. And, boy, will my mother have something to tell all her friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment