Friday, June 5, 2015

Food for Thought

I was reading a blog post from Baring the Aegis about our religion not being a nature religion and I'm going to add my own comment to this. I agree with her on everything that she said! We aren't apart of any kind of nature religion. I'm not going to deny that nature is wonderful, beautiful, and glorious, but I don't honor or worship nature. The ancients didn't worship nature, they worshiped the gods, spirits, nymphs, and titans.

These were the deities and spirits that roamed the land and lend their power to make things work the way that they were supposed to. Yes, I get upset when the rainforest is violated but not because of some nature worship that I do, which I don't, but because of the scientific evidence that has proven that damage the rainforest lowers how much air we can breathe.

Due to the belief that pagans worship nature, all of us have been stuck with that label. Oh all pagans are nature worshipers. Why would you want to worship the creation when you can worship the creator? This really burns me up and makes me want to slap that person really hard with a huge glove of 'I don't damn worship nature so stop saying that I do.'

The gods create what we enjoy and the spirits inhabit those places. We honor the gods and the spirits, but we don't worship nature. One of the things that I'm planning on doing this summer is enjoy more of this city and what it has to offer. I'm going to the park and enjoy Helios power and Apollan's light. I'm going to enjoy the sound of the water in the river that is connected, further down the line, to the gulf of Mexico and goes right into the Atlantic Ocean.

I'm going to give offerings to the spirits of the trees, and the tree that I have in my backyard, and just enjoy the moment. To me that's the connection to the divine and something that is missed by most that follow some kind of pagan religion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment