Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Heat and Hellenic Practices

I'm going to make this a short post as I'm dead tired and I don't really have time. So a couple of years ago I asked about LED candles during the hot months when all you want to do is get next to a AC and not leave. The people on the blog made it clear that LED candles weren't Hellenic and that they weren't allowed in Hellenic practices. Burning candles were the only acceptable thing for the gods. Can you imagine someone burning candles in 90 degree heat with no AC on, sweat dripping from your face.

And sometimes that sweat going right into the food that your offering, which you will most likely eat. My stomach just rolls at that thought. So what have I learned from that one mention of LED candles? The thing is that we don't live in a country where there's such a thing as mild weather. We live in a country, and world, that's going through Climate Change and rising temps. So should you have an LED candle on. Yes, you should.

I've seen photo's of people's altars with LED candles on. They seem very happy with the idea of having these little miracles of modern invention, something that is under the domain of Hephaestus, twinkling merrily away. And while we are reconstructionist, I don't believe that we should do everything 'like the Greeks did.' I believe there is room for change. The heat is something that always leaves me with a heat headache. Or worst, a migraine!

Do I need to put myself in that position of getting one, and later on getting sick, just so that I can do things 'like the Greeks did?' LED candles is a great way to have a candle burning without burning up yourself. On the topic of offerings during the hot months. If you don't want to burn incense, because it just makes your room hotter, then just go outside and pour a liquid libation to the gods. They will understand and I believe have no problem with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment