Sunday, August 23, 2015

Making My Space Simple

This post is hard to write for many reasons. One: I want my words to come out correctly and not in the area of bashing. I know that bashing others is something that most Hellenists don't approve of. Of course if it's the truth then it's not bashing. Early this week I had to make changes to my altar based on, once again, her dislike for statues. Sometimes I wonder if she's got bipolar or something. Not that I'm attacking those that have it.

For several months she says nothing about statues and then she watches some program and, once again, she doesn't like statues. This time around, however, she didn't say that they had to go. Just that statues get between you and G-d. I was thinking about how I could have a altar, or space, that wouldn't rile her up. I remember Baring the Aegis has a altar that doesn't have statues. She just has a box with a candle for Hestia. So I decided to do something like that.

I have a box, which I keep coins in, a candle holder with a homemade candle in it. Yes, I've gotten into making my own candles which I consider part of my practice, a picture that I got off the net from Pompeii, a candle sniffer, one of those lighters for candles that you use when the candle burns down into the container and you can't reach it, and an incense burner. I set it up and waited to see what would happen.

Glory to the gods, she said that she liked it. There were no statues, just things that I already had or things that I had bought this month. So I'm using the space and not having statues. I would like to note that she didn't tell me that I couldn't practice, just that she doesn't like statues. I consider the space to be much more simpler and a heck of a lot easier to clean up. So I'm going to keep it this way and I will admit, I happen to like it just as much as she did.

Note: I'm talking about my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment